Music Banter - View Single Post - Do we as humans naturally want to do the opposite of what were told?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

I think it completely has to do with the situation. I'm not going to say that (to cite an earlier example) I'm going to touch wet paint just to contradict a sign warning against touching the wet paint; I know what the outcome's going to be. Either the paint has dried, or I'm going to get paint on my fingertip. There'd be no point to contradict the sign.

If someone tells me not to do something / to do something, there are times I'm inclined to do the opposite of what they tell me. It's not really for rebellion. The way I see it, they have their reasons for wanting me / not wanting me to do something. That's fine. If it's something that doesn't appeal to me or doesn't fit what I would like to do to achieve my own personal desired outcome, I'll generally do the opposite. It's not even so much to challenge them; I just figure that if it's not something life threatening or something to me or anyone else, then I can make my own judgment on the matter and go about doing it the way I would have done without their input.

Like, if someone tells me, "Don't spend all of your money this weekend," there's a good chance that I'll still do it. The reason being that it's my money, doesn't affect the person who's telling me not to spend it in any way, and is ultimately my call. If I know that I could safely spend all of my money in a weekend without any negative effects to me or others in the future, you can bet like hell I'm going to do it.

If someone's offering me constructive criticism or anything like that, though, I really do listen and take everything they say into consideration. If it's merely a condemnation of something I'd like to do, I don't really listen so much.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote