Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #201 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

200 posts in this thread eh. Here's something a little special for it;

An Overview Disc

^ aka an 80-minute mp3 of Elvis Costello being interviewed by the one and only Peter Doggett (whoever the hell that is) in promoting the very reissue campaign I was on about earlier. If you've got about that long to spare and don't really feel like listening to any actual music, this massively interesting interview about Costello's career up 'til this recording on July 21st 1995, his thoughts about the music scene he emerged with (the whole Mclaren thing, the Clash, Stiff Records and so on), new wave ('Polygram records invented new wave to sell a bunch of crap American records like the Runaways') and so on makes for a good listen. Definitely something for any of the hardcore fans who haven't heard it already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
lol. Nobody but Elvis could make a pun based on manual transmission!!!

Oh, another song I loved: Wave A White Flag off of My Aim Is True outtakes. Is it just me or does it sound like one of those 50s musichall ditties... A really odd one in the Costello oeuvre. Great lyrics.
It sounds something like that as well, just with that obvious and really brutal twist. It sounds just great in that initial version, but you should hunt down an album called Swing Is Dead by Lee Press On and the Nails, who turn it into a brass-led waltz with a male/female vocal duet - it's hilariously inappropriate given the subject of the lyric, and absolutely fantastic at that.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote