Music Banter - View Single Post - The Urban 100 - 4 Years On (Now With Added Authors Commentary)
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 09:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

84. Hanoi Rocks - All Those Wasted Years (1984)

The had the hair , they had the make up , they were from the 80s.But don`t let that fool you. Hanoi Rocks were never hair metal. This is closer to the kinda scuzzed out trashy blues rock that the Stones & the New York Dolls did so well rather than being like Bon Jovi & Poison. This album was recorded live at the Marquee club at Christmas 1983 & shows that their live show was better than anything they ever did in the studio.It was also kind of the end of an era.After this they got a major label deal ,relocated to LA , made a disappointing album & then split up after Vince Neil killed drummer Razzle.It was never the same again after this album.

Favourite songs - Tragedy , Don`t Ever Leave Me , A Beer & A Cigarette

83. Redd Kross - Neurotica (1987)

One of these days someone will give me a good reason why this band were never huge , because i`ve never been able to understand why not. They had great songs , a good vocalist , catchy songs , they could hammer out a good rock song....yet nothing.
Maybe it was down to bad timing. I swear had they been a new band in the mid 90s people would have been falling over themselves to give this band attention. I will always be baffled to the indifference shown to this band by the record buying public.But hey , at least someone at allmusic.com rates them...
Neurotica did manage to find its way into some very important young people's bedrooms. Redd Kross had unwittingly created the rough, lo-fi, melodic, rock & roll template that bands like Mudhoney and Nirvana would become very successful exploring over the next few years.
At least i`m not alone.

Favourite songs - Neurotica , Janus, Jeanie and George Harrison , Ballad Of A Love Doll

82. Slayer - Reign In Blood (1986)

The most perfect 28 minutes in thrash metal , I don`t expect any of you to argue about it either.It was this album that made me realise that 99% of all those other thrash metal bands didn`t matter one bit.Thats why there`s no Metallica albums on this list ... HA!

Favourite songs - Angel Of Death , Alter Of Sacrifice , Raining Blood

81. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand (2003)

I was wrong , I admit it.
I HATED this band when they first came along. I was sick to death of the hype sick to death of hearing Take Me Out played about 50 times a day on the radio , I really loathed them.
Skip forward about a year , the hype has died down & i`m watching TV around 3am and they`re playing highlights from some festival. Franz Ferdinand come onstage & I groan. They start playing Matinee , my ears prick up....this isn`t bad.They play Auf Achse. By the end of that song I want the album & buy it the following week.The more I listen to it the more I like it.
Like I said , I was wrong ,i`m an idiot.

Favourite songs - Matinee . Auf Achse , Jacqueline
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote