Music Banter - View Single Post - The Urban 100 - 4 Years On (Now With Added Authors Commentary)
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 08:35 AM   #26 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

80. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Orange (1994)

My first reaction on hearing this was 'What the **** is this?????'
I still think that now.But then i`ve always had a soft spot for rough around the edges raw blues rock , even more so when you have a lead singer putting on a cod elvis voice.This is just pure fun with great riffs.

Favourite songs - Bellbottoms , Blues X Man , Greyhound

79. The High Llamas - Hawaii (1996)

77 minutes & 29 songs full of lush strings , beautiful melodies & rich orchestral arrangements.One of the most underrated bands of the 90s which is a shame but understandable really. They were just as good as other bands like them such as Mercury Rev & The Flaming Lips but they lacked direction & never really came out with that killer album. This is about as close as they got to one. I`d love to put it higher as they were such a great band but there`s a bit too much filler on it to do that.But it is a good record.

Favourite songs - Sparkle Up , Literature Is Fluff , Cuckoo's Out

78. Dinosaur Jr - You`re Living All Over Me (1987)

This album sounds like sh*t , but not even the awful production that sounds like it was recorded on a tape recorder in someones bedroom (A couple songs were).But the quality of the songs shine through,in fact the best the band ever recorded.They made one good album after this (Bug) but then Lou Barlow left & the major labels came , but to be honest to me they were never the same again & just became a bunch of also rans on the grunge scene.Which was a shame because on the strength of this they desereved much better.

Favourite songs - Little Fury Things , Kracked , Raisins

77. Pavement - Wowee Zowee (1995)

Now i`m not the biggest Pavement fan by a long shot as i`ve always found them a bit hit & miss, but when they`re good they`re very good. And I just love this album because how the diversity on it.The great thing about this album is you never quite know whats coming up next. There`s pop , jazz , folk , country , but all of it recognisable as Pavement & none of it sounding out of place.
I remember reading an article in the Daily Mirror a few years ago , they listed this album as the coolest album ever made. It totally surprised me to see it included , let alone being named no. 1 , but having heard it I could see why someone would think that.

Favourite songs - Rattled By The Rush , Fight This Generation , Half A Canyon

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote