Music Banter - View Single Post - Kony 2012
Thread: Kony 2012
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Phzed
Music Addict

I'm surprised at the small amount of posts in this thread, I expected it to be a widely discussed topic.

Personally I think the video is exceptional in the way they've managed to get such a large amount of the population interested in something which has been going on for 20 years, although I am critical of the organisation (invisible children) and the likely outcomes of what it's campaign will lead to. I don't think too much of their money expenditures; from a business perspective the way they've advertised is only likely to bring in more people donating; which in theory is a good thing.

I've tried to keep up with all the articles being posted about this (there's a hell of a lot), and there's a lot of criticism online, but very little in the mainstream media... To me it just seems like they're creating a figure to hate, very similar to Bin Laden. I'd heard about the LRA situation in Uganda about 2 years ago, but even then I knew that Uganda was in a state of recovering from the crisis, and it's only recently that anything is being done about it. It reminds me of the fact that very few people I know seem to know little to nothing about the Rwandan genocide.

It seems strange to me that this is happening at a point where the "crisis in uganda" is actually fading, and communities are actually currently rebuilding; I think all this publicity is likely to make conflict worse.

Also, I'm in no way endorsing any kind of crazy conspiracy theory; but it is a fact that Uganda have untapped natural resources.