Music Banter - View Single Post - Kony 2012
Thread: Kony 2012
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
WWWP
county fair energy

I'm glad to see a thread on this, as it's a movement I'm becoming quite passionate about. I've read probably over a hundred articles in the time since the video was posted, both in criticism and defense of Invisible Children. I always read things critically (and I've been encouraging everyone I've had conversations with to do the same), and when looking at both sides of the arguments at hand I've come to the conclusion that it's something I personally want to get behind. Absolutely, 100%.

As the author said in one article I read earlier today, whenever there's something that goes viral like this and something that a large percentage of the population eagerly gets behind, there will always be an equally large amount of people just waiting to shit all over it. No matter who is right in any given case, there will always be people waiting for their chance to burst someones proverbial bubble.

I waited to donate money until after I had done research about the finances of Invisible Children and despite the criticism against them I felt that they are using their funds in much the same way that I would. I'm a poor college student, and I'm not about to give my money away to anything I find to be remotely sketchy.

I feel like a lot of people are getting caught up in aspects of the video that are not necessarily relating to the bigger picture. Much of the criticism toward IC relates to the fact that the war is not in Uganda, but I felt that the video made that pretty clear... the point was not to raise awareness about a war in Uganda, it's about keeping people interested in Kony and the LRA so that the efforts made so far in regards to Kony's arrest are not revoked or withdrawn. The military advisers from the US that are currently in Central Africa will be pulled out if the issue does not remain a prominent thing to both the powers at be and, consequently, to the public. IC has been trying to get the US government to commission military aid for nearly a decade now, if the window closes and Kony is not arrested this year than a lot of their efforts will have gone to waste.

I think the video was great in that it reminds the general public that there are important things to care about, and no matter how hokey or overly-sentimental it may be, I think it's reminding young people that they have a voice and that they should use it. That being said, I certainly have my own criticisms of the movement and my own list of annoyances in regards to IC and the video itself, but in my opinion it's more important to have this incredible spark of interest in activism, whether it's used in regards to the Kony 2012 campaign or elsewhere.

I would love to talk more to people who are interested or curious about this, either publicly or through PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
WWWP is pretty but should be cancelled (digital blackface)

#DEMODFROWNLAND
#TERMLIMITSFORMODERATORS
WWWP is offline   Reply With Quote