Music Banter - View Single Post - Slayer vs Metallica
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #191 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I can sort of see where you're coming from here but I don't think it's true. Their sound has actually varied a lot more over the years than people give them credit for. It's just that, in my opinion, the lightning fast style people associate with them is a lot better than the other styles they've used, which is probably why they're sometimes seen as a one trick pony.
I can see that. I think they peaked after Reign In Blood. South of Heaven had some good songs, but wasn't really that interesting. "Spill the Blood" aside, I don't really think they truly pulled off combining their sound with melody until Seasons In the Abyss with "Dead Skin Mask" and the title track, and the rest of the album, while perfectly entertaining, wasn't really much different from their past music. And they've pretty much been treading water creatively ever since.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote