Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Journals update thread?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
Why not just use the MB feed that's already been used? It does the same purpose.
Well, the problem I see with that is that the journal update threads might take the thing over, and then all of Pedestrian's "It's [insert genre/sub-genre/sub-sub-genre here] week!" posts might get pushed back or overlooked.

The idea of a ToC is a very, very good one. I know I personally (nerd alert!) keep an Excel (well, OpenOffice, same thing only free) spreadsheet of each page and its contents, so I could just upload that, post a link and update it as needed.

But a sort of "newsletter" style of thread might be nice. Nothing over the top: something like "Geekoid's latest disseration of music part 3 up now" or "Ki looks at post rock this week with bands a, b and c", or even "Trollheart goes back into the world of boybands for the final part of his series on them". Something like that? Nothing too deep or boring or involved, but a kind of "in recent news" or "what's new" sort of thing? Maybe. I don't know.

The thing is, though it might seem like it, I'm not suggesting this in order to promote my journals. My original has over sixty thousand views already and my newer one passed 1000 recently, so I'm not lacking for readers nor needing to drum up interest. But I was thinking more of the articles I read on some other journals, which I would hate people to miss due to not knowing about them, and also the older journals, some of which were great but haven't been updated in months. I know some people will not want to take up the burden of maintaining a journal again, and that's of course fine, but there may be those who want to restart but are unsure if it's worth it, if anyone would read. This could help show them people do want to read what they have to say.

The ToC I'm definitely doing though: excellent idea. There would be too many pages in mine though to link them all, so I'll just be putting the date and page number. Should work the same.