Music Banter - View Single Post - Jam Bands
Thread: Jam Bands
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Default Jam Bands

Never seen a thread dedicated to jam bands in specific, so I thought I'd start one.

First of all, there is a lot of controversy as to what really defines a jam band. So, let's try to settle that.

Is a jam band simply a band that puts emphasis on improvisation during their live performances? I think that's part of what makes a jam band. I've been to a few music festivals in my day and have seen a lot of concerts and there's no doubt that a lot of bands play their music just like they do on the albums, but then there are the bands who change things up and do a lot of extended improvisation. But can all bands who improvise be considered jam bands? I don't think so. If that were the case then bands from nearly any genre could be considered jam bands.

This is how wikipedia defines jam bands:

Jam bands are musical groups whose albums and live performances relate to a fan culture that originated with the 1960s groups such as the Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers Band. This jam band environment continued in the 1990s with bands like Phish.[1] The performances of these bands often feature extended musical improvisation ("jams") over rhythmic grooves and chord patterns and long sets of music that cross genre boundaries

I think that's a fairly accurate description. Not just Any band who plays long improvised songs can be considered a jam band. If that were the case then I'd say jazz would be the primary genre of the jam band scene, rather than rock n roll (although a lot of those rock bands do incorporate a little jazz). Like I said previously, I think it's more of a cultural thing that started with bands like The Dead and The Allman Brothers and has continued with similar bands like phish.

However, I think the best conclusion to draw would be that the term is pretty pointless. Just another label to thrown around.

What do you guys think?
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote