Music Banter - View Single Post - Kef by Aram Bajakian
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspoptart View Post
It can be, but I have always been attracted to foreign language (since falling in love with Japan around age 14), and I'm used to being "in the dark" about what is being said. After I went to university, I chanced upon meeting a bunch of Romanians and they became my best friends, and I would spend hours (often intoxicated) trying to understand the conversation, until, eventually, I just could. I can't contribute, but I developed a 6th sense for understanding body language, facial expressions, and just the dynamics of a conversation, without the words. In fact, it's kinda like how a baby learns language.

I studied and became fluent in Spanish, Arabic & Japanese before I graduated, and now I'm here in Turkey and the Turkish is coming to me quickly. I can have a conversation with basically anybody, but it's never all that deep. In time...

A surprising amount of people do speak English in this part of the world, and the ones that don't are incredibly friendly all the same. "Getting by" isn't really a problem...the real issues start when they simply give too much!

*___*
Wow, that`s a impressive resume, misspoptart. It makes you sound very adventurous, and very patient - two important characteristics for explorers, I suspect.
I, on the other hand, am much more of an armchair traveller; I remember reading about a lone backpacker who decided to swim the Bosphorus, and got arrested by the Turkish police when he struggled out of the water on the far side. In a different travel book, a guy spent a cold and dreary time quizzing people in Gori, Georgia about their attitude to Gori`s most famous son - Joseph Stalin. On both occassions I thought, "Yeah, I`d rather read about this than do it myself." But if you try either of these things, don`t fail to let us know, ok ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I just wrote up my thoughts on the album, but I exited the tab when I meant to check my email . I'll write them up again soon, but overall I thought that the album was slightly above average, hence my vote for good.
^ Yeah, that`s so annoying ! Hope you won`t be disheartened for long - and thanks, btw, for nominating a new album for the next FAIR club poll. Looks like you`ve found us something very unusual !

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 03-18-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: removing an out-dated reminder
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote