Music Banter - View Single Post - Gypsy Music (Manele/Chalga)
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
misspoptart
gimme gimme

Default Gypsy Music (Manele/Chalga)

From wikipedia: "Manele can be divided into "classical manele" and "modern manele". The "classical manele" are a Turkish-derived genre performed by lăutari in a lăutărească manner, while the "modern manele" are a mixture of Turkish, Greek and Middle Eastern elements, generally using modern (electronic) instruments and beats."

In my view, manele is something college taught me way too much about. It's usually funny, about weird sexual relationships, and above all else, cheesy and fun at parties.

I can understand a fair bit of Romanian, but once you get into the gyspy (tigan) language, I'm lost. In any case, all my best friends at school were Romanian. Don't ask me how that happened, it's still a mystery to me. It has something to do with the combination of Macroeconomics 101 and being blond.

Bulgarians call it chalga, and that is also good. Any search for chalga or manele will yield plentiful results on the youtube. But beware.

Without further ado, I will post a few of my favorite manele tracks, for your listening pleasure.

The first guy you should get to know is Liviu Pustu. He is a legend.

The song is a Romeo & Juliet theme, and the title means: You are Romanian, and I am a gyspy. Basically the chorus outlines the fact that gypsy men are looked down upon by Romanian women. She's smart and well-dressed, he's kinda dumb and unattractive. Their parents won't let them marry, but he'll love her until he dies, etc. One of my favorite manele tracks of all time.

"Dragostea nu are lege!" - Love has no law! What a nice message.

Another famous dude is Liviu Guta.

This song is about being sore after 4 days and 4 nights of crazy sex.

Here's a great track by Hotline. Not sure if it's real manele, but it rocks.

\

This song is about how all the girls in the world are the same, but Romanian girls are very special and the best in bed.

Anyway, enjoy! I'm sure I'm the only person on MB that would listen to this kind of crapped on crap but I can at least expose you. It's definitely better when a) drunk b) with Romanians c) playing poker.
misspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote