Music Banter - View Single Post - Jimi Hendrix is overrated.
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
ZiggyStardust
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophonic Tonic View Post
What is messy about it? The squeaking and screams? Know those are mimicking sounds of airplanes, bombers and machine guns, right? Jimi's version is a protest song in front of Woodstock, not a faithful rendition to open the Super Bowl. And, I'm not sure how difficult it is on guitar, but the Star Spangled Banner is an incredibly demanding and complex song to sing properly. So the fact he could weave the original song with all of his embelishments in a fluid way is extraordinary to me.

And, who do you think is a really good guitarist compared to Jimi Hendrix?
His version of Star Spangled Banner lost the melody completely - there's no point doing a song if you can't actually hear the melody that's being played. The bombs and machine guns sound like machine guns, I'll give you that, but if he wanted to play a protest song he didn't need to add it into the country's anthem.
Normally he uses feedback in a good way, but in this case it just sounds messy and out of place. The buzz coats all the notes so half of them just sound like buzzes.

And as for the greatest guitarist? Jimmy Page. Just listen to his ''Stairway To Heaven'' performance from 1973's The Song Remains The Same concert film.