Music Banter - View Single Post - The Music Banter Members' Journals Monthly Update Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default Update for week ending May 5 2013

We're into a new month already, amazingly, and the sun is beginning to show its face, even here in rainy old Ireland, so summer will hopefully soon be on its way. Over here that's three days in July with maybe the August bank holiday weekend if we're lucky, but hey, it's something to look forward to.

Something else to look forward to is a bunch of new updates to our members' journals, and as ever we go from A to Z, jumping over any of the letters inbetween that don't refer to members. Some of these entries have a definite sense of summer, while some, well, don't, but they're all worth checking out. We have returns for those long thought vanished off the face of the Earth, journal-wise, and even some new-ish journals, so let's get to it, shall we?

Our favourite lord of bats seems to be getting a little confused, as in http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...t-schemes.html he's featuring a review of Death's "Human", which is all well and good, but it's in the style of his other journal. Time to clear those flying mice out of your belfry, my friend! Speaking of http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...lks-about.html, this time he's listening to The Jesus Lizard and Velvet Underground. Oh, and Nico too. Though he doesn't seem to like her...

Big Ears is continuing his dissertation on Atomic Rooser, as part of his guide to progressive rock, in http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...s-journal.html: check it out.

Bob
is back! No I an NOT joking! After almost a year --- that's right, I said a YEAR --- away, he's back with http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...oise-rock.html and he's looking at a band called The Means. And they sure sound mean. Welcome back bob: don't leave it so long next time, huh?

Ki has shut down his journal. But don't panic: he's opening up a whole new one. In http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...nal-music.html he's already looking at his favourite game soundtracks (me, I haven't played anything since Doom II --- Halo what?) and introducing a section he calls "Song of the day", which he says will be interchangeable with the same section in his lady's journal. Sounds interesting. I like crossover episodes! Stay tuned: this could be good!

If you don't want a song stuck in your head avoid Ladyislingering's http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...ic-memory.html, where she's trotting out her favourite earworms, among other songs she likes. I didn't heed the warning, and now all I can hear in my brain is I EAT CANNIBALS, FEED ON ANIMALS! Somebody HELP ME!!!

The Dog has become the Lion! At least, that's according to Mankycaant, and he'll explain more in http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...er-abroad.html, so hurry along there now: his writeups are always worth reading, and you'll kick yourself if you miss this one!

In http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...sicalness.html, the starry one is reviewing one of Queen's less respected albums, the disco-influenced "Hot space". Expect some harsh words, and it deserves them!

Screen13
has music from The McCoys, Terry Knight and the Pack (did you know they became Grand Funk Railroad?) and the unGoogleable ? and the Mysterians. Good stuff there Screen, and though the sixties ain't my bag I'm sure you're evoking memories for some around here! Check it all out in http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...album-day.html

Bitesize has again had to take one for the team, as I've run out of pre-written material for it and need to get working on some more, but there's still plenty to keep you entertained over at http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...d-journal.html where I continue to pay homage to the late great Rory Gallagher, talking about another album that changed my life, while also reviewing albums by China Crisis and Suzi Quatro. If television is more your thing then come to http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...-emporium.html, where I'm beginning my reviews of the Onedin Line and throwing in another movie I love.

With a serious review of Thin Lizzy's "Fighting" as well as Nazareth's "Hair of the dog", http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...y-history.html could be just the thing you need to cure that hangover you're suffering from. Or not. Either way, there's some powerful writing and oracle-like wisdom to be had from Unknown Soldier, as he continues to dissect rock music from 1975.

And finally, there's an odd conversation going on over at http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...nal-stuff.html -- well, when isn't there? --- but this is really weird. Seems to concern Charlotte Church, the Fall and, er, Dana... Head bemusedly in Urban's direction to see what it's all about.

Now, before I get to this week's Showcase, I'd just like to set the record straight, because there are some people who are going to be saying "why wasn't my journal included? I updated this week!" Well yes, but some people are just putting up YouTube vidoes and while this is fine, and they're completely entitled to do that, I prefer to direct visitors towards those journals that are being a little more creative. I'm not getting at those who only put up YouTubes, but really, if you want people to read your journal and you're not just doing it as a sideline, interesting thing but don't care if people visit, then you need to draw visitors and the only way to do that is to have something for them to read, laugh at, be informed by, be entertained by. It's just a friendly piece of advice: put a little more thought and creativity into your journals and I'll certainly encourage people to go there and read what you've written.

But for now, any updates that consist purely of YouTubes with a line or two won't be included on the update. Maybe it'll give you the impetus to get those creative juices flowing. Maybe you'll sulk like a child in the corner. Maybe you're already loading a shotgun and buying a ticket to Dublin. You're not, are you? Come on, guys, I'm just doing my job here!

Anyway, that's the line I'm taking. Proper updates will be mentioned, one-liners won't. Oh, and as I think you already know, the update has to be by the author. Comments by others, including smilies, YouTubes or graphics don't qualify.

With that in mind, it's on to this week's Showcase.
And as he's been away for so long it seems only fair we should throw the spotlight on bob. And so we will.

This was the first real entry in his journal, written all the way back in November 2011. You know, again it's not my thing but this guy knows his noise rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
it begins....

Cop $hoot Cop

cop shoot cop formed in 1987 in New York City...originally a trio consisting of Tod A (Bass, vocals), David Ouimet (keyboards,sampler) and Phil Puleo (percussion).....Jack natz later joined as another Bass player and Ouimet was replaced with Jim Coleman on samplers....and Steve McMillen was added for their final release (Release) as their only guitar player

cop $hoot cop released four proper albums, six Eps, and four singles in their 9 year career....all of their albums are very much worth looking into....and honestly were extremely hard to find....until the internet came....still these album are highly collectable and very much out of print....their first single "Piece man" came splattered with real pigs blood!

there seems to be some question about the origin of their name....as to whether it has to do with cops killing each other....or (and what i prefer) the complete redundant behavior of a junkie....cop(drugs) shoot(drugs) cop(drugs).....

i would be willing its a little from a and b....but from what i can tell no one from the band has ever really stated exactly what their name is all about

for all but one album (their last) they did not have guitar....but rather a high end and a low end bass....actually the album i'm going to review....their debut full length Consumer Revolt is said to be the only rock album in the history of music to consist of two bass players, two samplers, and one percussionist (i saw that because he mainly banged on found objects)....i can honestly saw that only this band could pull that off this good....and although i do very much enjoy their last album....it really is nothing compared to the others and is more like a typical 90s alt rock band with witty lyrics....and lyrics is something that really stands out with this band....dark humor, sarcasm and the typical NYC attitude.....Tod A is an amazing writer....which in my opinion he carried over to his next band Firewater

Consumer Revolt (1990)
"Low.Com.Denom." - 2:21
"She's Like A Shot" - 3:46
"Waiting for the Punchline" - 3:46
"Disconnected 666" - 2:18
"Smash Retro!" - 1:42
"Burn Your Bridges" - 5:01
"Consume" - 1:09
"Fire in the Hole" - 3:15
"Pity the Bastard" - 4:11
"Down Come the Mickey" - 3:26
"Hurt Me Baby" - 1:46
"System Test" - 2:33
"Eggs for Rib" - 5:03

first and foremost out all the albums i plan on reviewing in this thread....this album is the closest to an "industrial" sound...probably due to the insane drumming (often on what sounds like sheet metal and or shopping carts) and the extensive use of samplers.....still this is noise rock at its best....

right from the get go you can tell that this album is unique.....the bass playing is unlike anything i've ever heard and the drumming is ordered and chaotic at the same time and Tod's feverish vocal ramblings are just perfect....by the time She's Like A Shoot (a wonderful love song comparing a woman to heroin) starts you realize that you've been transferred into the filthy streets of NYC and are now experiencing all those things mommy and daddy tried to shelter you from....its the next track that does it for me.....Waiting For The Punchline is a perfect example of falling into a misanthropic madness.....both lyrically and musically.....seriously by the end of the song....and the amazingly great lyric "when insomnia is just another word for to much on the mind"....tension could be cut with a knife

next is the equally disturbing all sample song Disconnected 666....which is in all honestly the first Cop Shoot Cop song i had ever heard....having seen it on a 19 generation vhs copy of Richard Kern's short films....the short film is amazing

and straight into the pounding, angry Smash Retro....a wonderful song about letting the past just die (specifically the hippie movement)....next up is the Burn Your Bridges....which once again takes you down a loathing trip into despair......seriously great example of the amazing drumming....and you can see influence from other bands that were around at the time specifically Foetus and maybe a bit of Swans.....Consume is another interesting all sample "message".....Fire in The Hole sounds as much like Neubauten at their craziest as it does a thundering noise rock song....the percussion is just amazing on this track....and really helps along the disgusted lyrics...then comes my favorite track on this album....and probably my favorite Cop Shoot Cop song....and the title of this thread....Pity The Bastard.....just pounding like a hammer to your head....and almost psychotic horror moments.....this is a prime example of just what this band is capable of.....the jarring bass mixed with intense nonsensical percussion....and Tod's insane man ramblings....almost as if he were a crazed schizophrenic yelling back at the voices....just superb

and straight into Down Come The Mickey....which is in all honesty the track that closed this album for me as being the "essential" cop shoot cop album.....Hurt Me Baby is simply their take on the Culture Club hit....and System Test sounds more like a broken industrial machine that has gone mad and has been unleashed on the city.....the albunms ends with the surprisingly groovy Eggs For Rib....an almost fun song and truly fitting end to such a despondent album

hope you check this one out....there really is nothing that sounds like this album
(Note: Videos are "Disconnected 666" and "Down come the mickey")

So that takes us to the end of this week's update, the first for May. Remember, if you would like to start a journal there's literally nothing stopping you. Make a thread in the section and once it's approved you're officially a member of Journal-Land. But remember to update it as often as you can, cos once you slide off page one you may as well be a record by Leonard Cohen, as Neil once complained in "The Young Ones". The journal section is a place where you literally have to make sure you're always on top!

Mind you, you'll be doing well to achieve that, as I am ALWAYS updating! No, I have no life. Still, if you're up for the challenge...

Till next week,
Toodles!