Music Banter - View Single Post - The Ditty Bops
Thread: The Ditty Bops
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Paul Smeenus
David Hasselhoff

Default Songs For Steve

Again, change was afoot in the late 2000's in Ditty Bops world. Summer Rains was the third straight nearly perfect band-driven project by Amanda and Abby, and the show that year was another amazing performance, with guitarist/violinist John Landon and Keyboardist Greg Rutledge opening the show with their thoroughly enjoyable Ice Cream Truck project

....So, in 2009 my work got the better of me and I missed the release of the two EP's that year, Songs For Steve and The Color Album (my next review). Then, in late July of that year the Bops went on tour, I got tickets to see them with a lady friend in Portland, at the Aladdin Theater there (this would be the third straight time I'd witnessed their performances at that venue).

What I didn't realize is that a record-breaking heat wave would take place on those days. I was taking Amtrak from Seattle to Portland, under ordinary conditions I would've made it to the Union Station with hours to spare, but because of the baking temperatures the train had to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n because the fecking rails were softened by the heat. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that even these scorching temps were hot enough to soften iron rails, but that was their story and they were sticking to it.

So as it turned out I juuuuuuust barely had time to check into my room, hail a cab, pick up my friend in the Alphabet District, then cross the Ross Island Bridge to the Aladdin. It was so fecking hot it was just stupid. Both me and my friend were withering. THANK GOD the venue had a/c....

So, when we take our seats, I'm puzzled by the stage set-up. Or, more to the point, the complete lack. No piano, no amps, nothing but two chairs and mics lowered to the seated vocalists and their instruments. Had they not set up yet? Had the heat delayed them too? Was this the set for the opening act?

Then, the ladies came out alone. I had been preparing my friend for the band experience I'd seen four times previous. As they came out alone, Abby and Amanda and their instruments, for the first time in my 4 1/2 years of following the Bops career, I felt a tinge of disappointment.

Then, the ladies put on the prettiest, most thoroughly gorgeous ninety minutes of acoustic duo music I'd ever witnessed. Both myself and my friend were in awe of how fecking beautiful this night of music was, and neither of us will ever forget it. I will be referring to this event in my next review for The Color Album, but for now I'll focus on Songs for Steve.

The opening track sets the tone and the theme for SfS, "Heaven Isn't For The Angels". Songs for Steve was recorded in the ladies own living room after hearing of the death of their dear friend Steve Zinn, who was tragically lost in a mororcycle accident earlier that year. Consider the album art:

...this six song dedication to the life of this man, who in the ladies words "reminds us everyday to be totally rad!", begins with "Heaven Isn't For The Angels"

The next song is more loveliness, "Take My Hand Monchichi". I'm not as sure as to the meaning of this song as I am with "Heaven/Angels" but is appears to take place on a mountainside camping trip. If I were to guess it's possibly a tender moment near the tragic end of Steve Zinn's life.

The next song was so effing gorgeous at the performance at the Aladdin that both myself and my friend were on the edge of tears, it was so staggeringly beautiful we were both in total awe, and neither of us will ever forget hearing "Dancing In The Moon" that night.

Next is "Somebody's Gone", another gorgeous song of mourning and remembrance.

Actually, the entirety of Songs for Steve is gorgeous songs of mourning and remembrance. Another stunning song from the Portland event, "Where Are You Now"

This EP concludes with "Pink Motor Helmet". I wish I had a chance to know Steven Zinn. He must've been a remarkable man.

Thus ends Songs For Steve. Up Next: The Color Album

Last edited by Paul Smeenus; 03-28-2016 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Massive changes and additions
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote