Music Banter - View Single Post - The Music Banter Members' Journals Monthly Update Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #26 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default Ye Who Have Not Updated: I'm gunnin' for ya!

Just a little note before the next update to advise I'm thinking of implementing a new section (what is this, a journal?) in which I'll be "going after" those who used to have or still have great journals but who have not updated in quite some time.

Now, before anyone gets on their high horse and demands why I think I can do this, bear this in mind: as with just about anything I write or purpose, none of this is meant to offend, so I hope it doesn't. What the intention is, is to draw attention to Great Journals We Miss and try to convince their authors to pick them up again. I of course realise there are many reasons why people stop updating, and very many of these reasons are valid. Life has a way of intruding. But sometimes it's just that people have become bored, see their work as stagnating, have run out of ideas or perhaps lost the will to continue writing as they believe nobody is reading.

This section will address a journal I pick out which I have particularly enjoyed, explain a little about what it's about, maybe take an extract, I haven't decided yet, and encourage the author to try to update. Of course, you're free to tell me to go boil my head, but maybe this could be the incentive/impetus you've been waiting for. Maybe it's time to drag out that dusty folder from under the coffee table, read your hastily-scrawled notes and think about maybe giving it another go.

I am under no illusions that people will just start writing again because I think they should, but there are some amazing journals here which have not been updated in months, some even longer, and it would be nice to see them come to life again. Hell, if only one in ten, one in twenty decide it's a good idea to try again I'll consider it worth the others I annoy who ignore me.

So watch out! I'm heading down into the dusty vaults of Journal Land (there must be a better name: Journalia? Journalopolis?) to see if I can pry open some of the forgotten, neglected coffins down there and pull out the stakes that have been pinning them to the earth for so long. Maybe I'll get my neck bitten, but hey, it's worth the risk, I feel.

Now, where's my crucifix and holy water....?