Music Banter - View Single Post - Everything Rockabilly
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rick360
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
My absolute all time favorite rockabilly song is the Sun Records issue of Boppin' the Blues by Carl Perkins. I saw him live around 25 years ago and he blew my mind.
A great song that I've sung hundreds of times over the past 35+ years.

Quote:
Another classic is Eddie Cochran's Summertime Blues. I love the guys who hand clap along with his songs. I wonder if hand clappers had a lot of groupies back in the good old days.
This is great because it's live and real. Those Town Hall Party films are such a treasure.

Gene Vincent also had a couple of Blue Caps whose role seemed to be mostly to clap along and hoot and holler. One of them, Tommy Facenda, had a hit later with "High School U.S.A." (actually, 28 hits, since he cut custom versions for high schools in cities across the country).

Quote:
File under sexually repressed teenagers. Check out this wild & wooly rendition of The Train Kept-A-Rollin' by Johnny Burnette. This film segment was condemned by the Legion of Decency in the 1950s for "suggestive costumes" and "lust inducing dancing."
This, on the other hand, is a fake job. The song the Rock and Roll Trio is actually performing here (from a movie) is "Lonesome Train on a Lonesome Track." Someone has edited in a whole lot of dance footage from another source and then just played the studio recording of "The Train Kept a-Rollin'" over it. (You notice that the Trio is shown primarily when no singing is going on, and Paul Burlison's guitar playing doesn't match what is heard — all the more poignant in that Burlison isn't playing on the record either, Grady Martin is!)

Fun to watch, but not exactly an accurate historical document.

Last edited by Rick360; 01-27-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Rick360 is offline   Reply With Quote