Music Banter - View Single Post - Tutti-Frutti! Silenzio's Colourful Mix of Music
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Silenzio
Music Addict

Default Piramida - Efterklang

Thanks Briks, I hope I won't disappoint you!
So let's get started!

Piramida - Efterklang

Efterklang - that word means "remembrance" in Danish. At the same time it is the name of a indie rock band, which has produced a wonderful album in 2012 called Piramida.
Perhaps you've heard of it, the band got pretty well-known since the realease of their fourth studio album. Let's take a closer look at the praised album.

For some reason, I'm very impressed and fascinated by the cover of the album. It somehow gives you foretaste of what is to hear. Or let's put it that way, the layout is matching to their music.
It's simple, flecked with gray and at the same time smooth and very natural. I mean, I see the rough draft of the pyramid, and even if I disliked Maths in school...
I overcame those traumatizing experiences and listened to the album.

Track list

1. Hollow Mountain
2. Apples
3. Sedna
4. Told To Be Fine
5. The Living Layer
6. The Ghost
7. Black Summer
8. Dreams Today
9. Between The Walls
10. Monument

First, I want to tell you this interesting fact about the album.
Efterklang went on an audio expedition to an abandoned Russian settlement in Spitsbergen. Visiting a ghost town, Piramida, and recording sound samples which are used in the album is quite an adventurous undertaking!
There is as well a movie, The Ghost of Piramida. A former citizen of the ghost town tells about the time of immigrant Russian miners and their families living in a Soviet parallel society far from the brutal reality of their homeland.

The idea of reconstructing the ambient worked out - I like how creative the simple elements, those icy glass beads-sounds, cross the album, but remain so well-structured.
Hollow Mountain, the opening song impresses the listener from the start on - with touching, beheavy-hearted vocals and rhythms of nature. The second track, Apples, keeps up the mood.
Sedna, the third song reminds me partly a bit on Sigur Rós, although the sound is more calming, the vocals pretty static.
The following song Told to be fine brings in some dainty yet hopeful movements. The Living Layer is a nice passage to one of the most interesting song of the album - The Ghost.
To be honest, the music video to it is trippy, but it fits the song like a hand in a glove.

Black Summer sounds a bit like minimalist jazz to me, maybe because of the brass parts.
The album comes to end, you may think, while listening to the calming and solacing track, Dreams Today.
Between The Walls - It throws you back to the previous trains of thought, it allows you to reflect.
The final song, Monument sounds melancholic and touching. There is an amazing music video as well.

To put it in a nutshell, the album it certainly worth a listen.
If you've got an ear for small effects in music, you may like this album.