Music Banter - View Single Post - Tutti-Frutti! Silenzio's Colourful Mix of Music
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Silenzio
Music Addict

Default The Private World of Paradise - Wake Owl

Finally!

The Private World of Paradise - Wake Owl

On 4th of March 2014 the album The Private World of Paradise got released by the Canadian alternative/folk band named Wake Owl.
Last year the debut EP Wild Country got released, it is such an excellent EP - it contains a lot of acoustic, folk-styled songs. I discovered this band in March 2013, and fell in love immediately.
I enjoy their inspiring, yet melancholic tunes, and especially I like how the tracks are loaded with emotion. Love and hope fills up the music, you can feel that the singer and musicians are actively engaged in their own music.
I've listened to various acoustic and live covers of their songs, and I must say, they do so well! If I got the chance to see them live, I would travel there. Maybe even to Vancouver!

Coming back to describing the latest album, I want to say in general you can hear a development and a progress. There is a revolution style-wise, the album sounds so experimental and chilled as well as groovy.
In comparison to the previous EP it has got for sure more movement. Perhaps that's due to the new percussion and synth they used.
They seem to be more confident in their choice of style, I am sure that the album is an artistic statement!

Track list

1. Days In the Sea
2. Candy
3. Letters
4. Vacation
5. Kid
6. Buffalo
7. Oh Baby
8. Madness Of Others
9. Untitled
10. Desert Flowers
11. Candy 2
12. Innocence
13. Love
14. Reward
15. Hero in the child

The album kicks off with Days in the Sea. What a chilly sound, slightly dreamy vocals and still it remains a song filled with easy confidence. The song reminds me on the Beach Boys.
The next track, it's so groovy, makes me want to travel back in time to the 70s and dance! Candy. The percussion in this song is wonderful, as well as the guitar melody.

People wanna tell me things, like how to be, like I need some help. but, none of this is mine.
I ain't got what you need I'm full of myself all me, I ain't got what you need my love has never seen.

I guess that's the phrase I can relate the most to.
People - those who know it better and make you feel worse with their words - I've met those pretty often in my life.
Nowadays I actually don't want to hear any advice or help concerning human interaction, because: none of this is mine.
I try not to internalize those words so much, even if I fail miserably from time to time.

Letters, is another wonderful track, though it's sad at some point. The vocal sounds so wistful and desperate, but the strings fit to the mood. There aren't any music videos available currently, only this song has some visual realization.
The next song is a lot happier, starting with soft guitar-picking. Vacation! Who doesn't appreciate some leisure time? One is obvious, that is such a catchy, but not an extremely up-beating, tune. I will listen to it more often in my holidays!
Kid - the guitar and strings dominate that song, just beautiful and very calm! It sounds like the singer is reflecting his childhood-memories.
Buffalo! If the title doesn't cause association to the wild west! The track offers the listener a nice beat and an interesting atmosphere - the guitar in that track sounds quite experimental!
Oh Baby. That song must to be written to or about a lover. It totally sounds like it. I like the way the singer pronounces "surely" - it makes me smile always! Anyway, the vocals are on-top in that song.
Madness of Others - what a song! I like the beginning a lot, the sounds is so comfy. I as well like the chromatic semitones played by the strings, although they're becoming more mystical. At any rate, the song tells you what crescendo it!

Untitled - the track is so modest and dainty. Desert flowers in comparison seems to be way more structured and floating, I really like the tiny, progressive elements.
Candy 2 is a bit of creative remix of the original song, but not better than the original.
I'll have to listen to the track innocence a few more times to understand it. It's a rainy-Saturday-song in my opinion, complaining but steady going.
Love, every notable artist writes about it, it seems! Nice synthetic background, continuous heart-beat rhythm. I like the alarm-sound at the end.
Reward - it's a real one after those previous tracks. I like the guitar strumming pattern, very simple and soft. The vocals are slightly cheerful, create a pleasant atmosphere.
Hero In The Child is a super groovy final song. Interesting rhythm, cool vocals and honest lyrics.

To sum it up, this album is one of the most-wanted for me. I honestly like that band, their style, the music and the emotions they put in their compositions and the sensations the songs cause in me.
It's clear that not everybody has the same taste, but I thought I'd just present you this album. In my view it's worth a listen!