Music Banter - View Single Post - New Grunge Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 03:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
fractalign
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pants View Post
That's a tough one! They're all great. I just watched the Grunge episode from the Metal Evolution series and there's some footage of Alice In Chains performing on the Clash Of The Titans tour in 1991 and Layne Stayley's voice is incredibly powerful, wish i could have seen them live. Did see them with their new singer a couple of months ago and they're amazing still, William's voice fits so well with Jerry.
I saw them live in 1993 and i have to say it was one of the most disappointing shows. I am not sure why, could have had something to do with the fact that Suicidal Tendencies were supporting and blew them off the state. Funny things is that even though I was an Alice In Chains fan and not an ST fan, I saw Suicidal Tendencies again in 1996 at their own show and they blew the crowd back into the lobby they were so good. So i knew their support show was no fluke. Come to think of it, I am pretty sure 1996 was also the year Layne Stayley died.

Having said that Alice in Chains were/are an amazing band, its just that Layne's apathy really dragged the vibe down that night. The funny thing is they they were playing on the very same stage that I had seen Nirvana play on nearly two years earlier and even though Kurt Cobain had apathy and substance abuse issues to rival Layne's, it did not carry through their performance which was a rather cathartic experience.

Anyway as far as the poll goes, i would have to say Chris Cornell, just far the fact that he has such dynamic range, each has his qualities
but Chris is definitely more versatile.

Last edited by fractalign; 05-28-2014 at 03:12 AM.
fractalign is offline   Reply With Quote