Music Banter - View Single Post - What Shows Have You Been To Lately?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #133 (permalink)
Psy-Fi
Aficionado of Fine Filth

Some pics from a recent show at The House of Blues in Boston, MA on August 24th of this year. Sleep was the headlining act with J. Mascis (Dinosaur Jr., Heavy Blanket) teaming up with Earthless as "Earthless Meets Heavy Blanket" for the opening act. This show was a rare, 3 gig mini-tour featuring this particular lineup and one of the few times the members of Earthless have played in the New England area in years.

The Earthless/Heavy Blanket combo played a smoking hot 45 minute set consisting of one extended instrumental heavy psych jam. Sleep followed up with a full set of their usual hard, heavy power trio stoner rock. I thought the opening act stole the show with their blistering full-throttle sonic assault jamming. Sleep started strong but after a few tunes I had the impression they weren't much different than a lot of other bands playing the same style of heavy rock. I may be a bit biased, though, as Earthless have been my favorite instrumental heavy psych power trio for the past 10 years.

Over all, an entertaining evening of good music and good beer to go with it. That combination makes for a good night out every time!

View of the stage from the second floor balcony.

Earthless/Heavy Blanket opening the show.

J. Mascis and Isaiah Mitchell trading guitar riffs.

Sleep takes the stage.

A poster from the concert. One of 300 made for the 3 shows performed by the Earthless/Heavy Blanket/Sleep lineup. Signed and numbered by the artist (Arik Roper) who happened to be manning the merch booth and sold me the poster.

And a video from the show of Sleep, taken by another fan...

SLEEP - SONIC TITAN (LIVE) - YouTube

She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote