Music Banter - View Single Post - Bitesize: Trollheart's Daily Album Mini-Reviews
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #198 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Thoroughbreds in every sense of the word

Artiste: The Donkeys
Nationality: American
Album: Ride the black wave
Year: 2014
Label: Easy Recording
Genre: Indie/Folk
Tracks:
Sunny daze
The Manx
Nothing
I love Alabama
Scissor me cigs
Imperial Beach
Ride the black wave
Brown eyed lady
Blues in the afternoon
Bahamas
Shines

Chronological position: Fourth album
Familiarity: Zero
Interesting factoid: There's also a British band called The Donkeys
Initial impression: Liked this from the start; great mix of Country and rock
Best track(s): Sunny daze, The Manx, Scissor me cigs, Ride the black wave, Brown eyed lady, Blues in the afternoon, Bahamas
Worst track(s): Nothing.
Comments: There's something I can only describe as a full or solid sound about the opener, Sunny daze and an infectious sense of optimism that just pulls me in right away. The second track is a superb instrumental that somehow conjures up empty, windblasted beaches, while Nothing has a sort of Beatles feel to it. Unfortunately these guys are another band who, though they have a website, neglect to include a bio or any band information, so I can't tell you anything about them other than that they're from San Diego and twice were nominated for that state's music awards, winning on one of the occasions.

They have been compared to CSNY and the Grateful Dead, and with the sound of accordion, electric piano and booming organ in their songs, I can see why. Their vocal harmonies are gently beautiful while yet being powerful, and there's a folk sentimentality to their music which is quite rare these days. In fact, did I not know better I might have thought this was a band from the sixties. The title track is just immense. Love this. Blues in the afternoon is even better, just makes you want to relax and chill. And then there's Bahamas. Good lord, can this get any better?
Overall impression: Superb and a really good find. I can see why they won an award.
Hum Factor: 9
Intention: Must listen to their other albums now.

Last edited by Trollheart; 01-12-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote