Music Banter - View Single Post - Plainview's Musical Odyssey - 20 Pieces of Music That Deserve Your Attention.
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Plainview

To begin this Odyssey, something suitably dramatic is needed. Having racked my brain for a worthy way to begin this Journal, I came to the decision I'd go for a slice of Sunny Murray.

For those unfamiliar with him, Murray is a highly influential free Jazz drummer, and his flowing and ever-changing style, emphasising tempo changes and texture over traditional time-keeping, makes for some really novel and exciting compositions. This is one of my favourites, although he has plenty of great pieces.

Invisible Blues has a particular energy and explosiveness that is very appealing to me. I'd recommend that any fans of experimental Jazz seek him out.

Spoiler for Number 1:

That begins the journal, stayed tune for the second pick!
The overuse of babe/baby, the lack of any sort of discernible originality, the melodrama and the general sense of an especially heinous sort of hardcore vapid stupidity all make me want to jab my eyes out with a drill-press and then hang myself from the CN Tower with an electrified rope that sends shocks in excess of 10,000 volts through my body as I slowly die. While listening to Dream Theater.

Last edited by Plainview; 05-17-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote