Music Banter - View Single Post - The average lifespan of an underground artist today
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
I wonder the same thing. I heard a few years back tech is clearing well over $100k, but he also does a lot of traveling and goes around talking about politics and stuff.

I wonder about groups like JMT who have been around for a long time and still push out content. Seems like they and many others have a built a strong enough following to live a regular blue collar life + travelling. I don't think they are caking it in.

The underground scene is so volatile, I'd fear for my future when I can't do it anymore. You never see rappers performing in their 60s like you do some of these rockstars.
Back when I worked at Burger King, I asked my black coworkers why they didn't listen to old school rap like white people listened to classic rock, and I was generally told that when black people drop something, they don't pick it back up. Which is why dances made up by black people only last a certain amount of time before being completely and utterly forgotten, except by goofy white people who like to embarrass themselves at weddings and on Youtube. I've never seen anything to contradict this, so I'd have to assume that's why rappers who don't have white audiences aren't still around.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote