Music Banter - View Single Post - Vote for best rapper
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 07:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newkie View Post
To be honest I tend to avoid the UK scene/grime almost entirely because the accent and delivery just grinds on me. Only caught him a few months ago as my mate has been trying to convert me by throwing in some stuff in the post-night out hip hop chill out sessions. Heard the ring entrance for Joshua and ever since Shut Up has become an integral part of it. He's definitely got talent but not really my thing. We need more of our boys to deliver like Slick Rick, innit.

How'd you rate him?
If I'm completely honest, I don't really. He is quite good at spitting but no more so than a lot of London MCs, and it's nothing we haven't heard before. I can't understand the following he's got. He's bigger than all the top boys at the moment.

That tune (Shut Up) is over ten years old, a legendary Ruff Sqwad tune from the Limewire days. He's rehashed it and I'm guessing the younger audience took to it as they hadn't heard it before and it just gathered momentum from there, or down to the AJ thing like you say. Know Me From is also a rehashed Wiley tune, not that there's anything wrong with redoing tunes as like I say he is quite good but I haven't actually heard anything original from him yet so I don't get why he's got such a buzz when there are plenty of other people making original stuff.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote