Music Banter - View Single Post - Talkin' Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #178 (permalink)
Farewell
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvangelionLovr View Post
Never heard of him! And Oberst is one of the ones I've heard compared to Dylan (I really like Oberst but I don't think he's THAT good). I'll have to check Simon out. What era?

The songwriters I feel are close to Dylan are Adam Duritz, Gregory Alan Isakov and maybe Tallest Man on Earth but he's more an exact Dylan ripoff than the "next Dylan"
Simon's been making music for 25+ years now. A Generation X'er like myself. We're in our 40's now. He's considered the Godfather of the Omaha music scene which Oberst helped elevate in its current incarnation. Oberst has said in the past "without Simon Joyner, there would be no Conor Oberst." A cliché, I know, but they're dear friends as well.

I don't really delve into "the next Dylan" debate these days. I have more pressing needs going on in my life. But there was a time when that was a fun debate to have, but I've since come to the conclusion that there is only one Dylan. But there is also only one Leonard Cohen, Townes Van Zandt, John Prine, Gram Parsons, Warren Zevon, Randy Newman, Brian Wilson, Stephin Merritt and the list goes on and on...

At the end of the day, I enjoy music from all of those mentioned above. Sure there are some similarities between a few of those guys, but there is also some unique differences that sets them apart from one another.
Farewell is offline   Reply With Quote