Music Banter - View Single Post - Talkin' Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2016, 10:04 PM   #179 (permalink)
EvangelionLovr
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farewell View Post
Simon's been making music for 25+ years now. A Generation X'er like myself. We're in our 40's now. He's considered the Godfather of the Omaha music scene which Oberst helped elevate in its current incarnation. Oberst has said in the past "without Simon Joyner, there would be no Conor Oberst." A cliché, I know, but they're dear friends as well.

I don't really delve into "the next Dylan" debate these days. I have more pressing needs going on in my life. But there was a time when that was a fun debate to have, but I've since come to the conclusion that there is only one Dylan. But there is also only one Leonard Cohen, Townes Van Zandt, John Prine, Gram Parsons, Warren Zevon, Randy Newman, Brian Wilson, Stephin Merritt and the list goes on and on...

At the end of the day, I enjoy music from all of those mentioned above. Sure there are some similarities between a few of those guys, but there is also some unique differences that sets them apart from one another.
I'll have to check him out, I'm 25, so I guess millennial? Not too sure. Musically and soulfully I'm more a Gen-Xer. Oberst is great, but I haven't heard too much about the Omaha music scene. I don't follow music in the history sense, I just jump from station to station on pandora and when I find a new artist I listen to them for weeks on end and the cycle repeats haha.
EvangelionLovr is offline   Reply With Quote