Music Banter - View Single Post - Country Rock, Roots Rock, Southern Rock, and Americana
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
EPOCH6
V8s & 12 Bars

Every once in a while I'll revisit an album with a great reputation that I didn't care for upon first listen under the assumption that I must have missed something, or that it simply wasn't the right day to hear it. Sure enough I mistakenly overlooked the excellence of Little Feat's Sailin' Shoes and Dixie Chicken when I initially heard them last year. I think it was Lowell George's vocals that freaked me out the first time but after giving them a second chance I've learned to love them, and more importantly, giving the albums full dedicated listens has revealed the brilliance of his songwriting, for example the skittery prog-rock interlude that emerges out of Texas Rose Cafe at 2 minute mark, an otherwise fairly simple slinky texas blues tune. Both of these albums are essential for americana and southern rock fans. The music is built on a solid foundation of 60's rock and roll, country, blues, and R&B but always has this aura of strange meandering influences that gives each track a very unique character, both albums are interesting front to back with fantastic musicianship from every member.

There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.

Last edited by EPOCH6; 03-01-2016 at 04:03 PM.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote