Music Banter - View Single Post - Country Rock, Roots Rock, Southern Rock, and Americana
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
EPOCH6
V8s & 12 Bars

Another revisit, Stephen Still's Manassas album, front to back on the highway this morning. Can't believe it didn't jive with me the first time I heard it, it sure as hell is now. What a sprawling album, absolutely packed with talent front to back from all members and a remarkable showcase of Stephen Still's versatility as a songwriter and musician. This is Stills' personal masterpiece, a massive double-album demonstration of his appreciation for roots music and his ability to pull it into his own musical vision. The album is divided into four sections, each demonstrating Still's mastery and interpretation of the genres that influenced him, yet the attention to track arrangement allows the album to remain cohesive as a whole, flowing seamlessly from rock n' roll, to country/bluegrass, to folk, to blues, and back to rock. This album is essential listening for fans of southern American styles of music, for fans of CSN&Y, The Allman Brothers, Buffalo Springfield, The Band, Little Feat, Dillard & Clark, Paul Butterfield, The Rolling Stones, and The Grateful Dead.

And now the hunt for a vinyl copy begins.

There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote