Music Banter - View Single Post - Country Rock, Roots Rock, Southern Rock, and Americana
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOCH6 View Post
Spent most of my time exploring music in 2015 focusing on the roots revival of the late 60s / early 70s, the reincorporation of southern American styles into rock and roll post-Beatlemania / British Invasion. The early collaborations of Duane Allman and various R&B musicians in the 60s, the dazzling complexity of blues and jazz fusions by The Allman Brothers Band, the amazing country flavored soundscapes produced in Nashville with The Beau Brummels, the weird crossroads of traditional country and psychedelic rock explored by The Byrds, the fast paced and precise jams of Poco, the thick acoustic textures combining folk rock, old western styles, and blues by America, the nostalgic and playful nods to New Orlean's ragtime, blues, and country by The Band, CCR, and Dr. John, the bizarre combinations of funk, soul, gospel, blues, and country by Bobbie Gentry, the massively thick fuzz injected jams of Canned Heat, the incorporation of country and blues styles into Humble Pie's boogie rock. This thread is for examples of rock and roll pulling inspiration from traditional blues, country, gosepl, R&B, soul, bluegrass, western swing, and jazz.
^ That's a really good description of events! I also have been listening to Bobbie Gentry again. She was more of a pioneer in terms of music, and her role in the industry, than I gave her credit for. Reunion, Fancy, Did Me Wrong and Apartment 21 are among my favourites.

Prompted by this thread I'm going to look at Little Feat, the BBrummels, Stephen Stills and Terry Reid. While Plankton's suggestion focuses on rock, (a word which I see occurs three times in the thread title), I'm going to go down the folky/Americana end of the spectrum.

First up are The Felice Brothers, who have been a favourite of mine for many years. Why not check out this thread -or even bump it ?
http://www.musicbanter.com/country-f...-brothers.html

Another band with a hint of Dylan and some excellent lyrics are Blitzen Trapper, who do the Byrds better than the Byrds do. This is the title track of a great album:-

And finally this álbum, which is as bluesy as you might expect given the protagonists. It's a one-off collaboration with a 17-year-old Ry Cooder. This particular track is a bit more rocking than most of the album, but I mostly chose it because it shows how RC must've influenced Beefheart's composition,Sure 'Nuff n' Yes I Do :-