Music Banter - View Single Post - Flat Earth Uprising?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
EPOCH6
V8s & 12 Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
"
-Flat Earthers - usually - believe the Earth is the center of creation, that the sky revolves around it. What's up there is fairly mysterious to us, which we're okay with, but we tend not believe they are infinitely burning balls of fire.

-Gravity does not exist. It is the most prevalent theory of course, but there is no evidence of its existence beyond the "proof" that we're not falling off a ball. Coincidentally, we need gravity to not fall off the ball. if this strikes you as odd, just try to find proof of gravity. Instead of gravity (which we only need to stick to the ball), Flat Earthers believe in electromagnetism and density, which are very easily testable and exist everywhere. There is up and down, in the Flat Earth Theory, and it's as simple as that.

-Yes. Antarctica is an ice wall which encircles the Earth. There is no south pole. There is a north pole at the center of the map, which makes south appear to exist as the opposite of it. Researching any public expeditions to the south pole will show that there is a "Ceremonial Pole" where you can go and take a selfie. You can't find the true south pole, and they claim this is because the Earth is wobbling.

-Also yes. All photos of a spherical Earth are fake. All independent balloons (reaching altitudes of 120,000feet) show a flat horizon.

Decent questions.
I won't be the guy that carries this thread into several pages with you, so I'm not going to provide much of a counter to anything you say, just trying to ask the right questions early on so all of the points are out in the open if anybody else does feel like putting the time into this.
Quote:
-Flat Earthers don't claim to know what's in space. We think it's a clock, and that the moon is self-luminous. What causes eclipses is moot, as it's not relevant to debunk the globe. To think it is means your brain is working on the basis of a fallacy of division.
The relationship between lunar eclipses and the shape of the Earth that I was trying to point out is that when Earth's shadow is cast upon the moon it reveals the globular shape of the Earth. That was one of the observations that led Aristotle to believe that the Earth is a globe. Flat Earthers don't believe that the sun ever passes behind the Earth... which begs the question how can lunar eclipses occur if the Earth is a non-rotating flat disc and the sun never orbits behind it?
Quote:
-Flat Earthers - usually - believe the Earth is the center of creation, that the sky revolves around it. What's up there is fairly mysterious to us, which we're okay with, but we tend not believe they are infinitely burning balls of fire.
Not sure if you're trying to make a subtle stab at non-Flat Earthers here or not but I don't believe I've ever heard a modern astronomer claim that stars are infinitely burning balls of fire, unless they were speaking poetically or metaphorically. Stars are formed and die over time like anything else in the cosmos.

The connection I was trying to make is that if all of the celestial bodies that we observe with our telescopes from Earth are globular why would Earth be excluded from the laws of physics that formed those spherical bodies? Earth is not very far from our globular neighbors in this solar system, we can even observe Saturn and its rings from a retail purchased telescope, let alone much closer planets like Mars, Venus, Mercury, and of course our Moon. At what point do the laws of physics that made our neighbors travelling globes transition into the laws that Flat Earthers believe made Earth a fixed disc, the edge of Earth's atmosphere?

Don't have time to address the other points right now.
There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote