Music Banter - View Single Post - 100% Avant-Garde Music
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

My knowledge base is limited to 20th-century avant-garde classical, but lately, I've been enjoying a few noteworthy albums:

Harry Partch - The World of Harry Partch (1969) featuring the sidelong composition, "Daphne of the Dunes"

This was an enjoyable follow-up to my first Partch record, Delusion Of The Fury - A Ritual Of Dream And Delusion which was released just two years after TWoHP.

I confess I still haven't cracked the cover of his masterwork, Genesis of a Music from 1946. I really need to make the time to read it.

John Cage • Christian Wolff (1963) was another rewarding purchase. Side A is Cage's "Cartridge Music" - sounds created from the manipulation of turntable cartridges. This was his first electronic work and is really a significant milestone for collectors of electroacoustic recordings. Side B features three pieces by composer Christian Wolff - "Duo For Violinist and Pianist," "Summer for String Quartet," and Duet II for Horn and Piano." This side is far more pastoral and gentle and serves as a lovely complement to Cage's composition.

And the third recent purchase was Panorama of Musique Concrète: Works by Henry, Schaeffer and Arthuys (1956). I suspect you are already familiar with this recording, as it appears on numerous musique concrète essentials lists.

I'll name one more LP you might enjoy - this one from the Folkways Science sublabel, issued in 1957. Various ‎– Sounds Of New Music showcases compositions by John Cage, Henry Cowell, Vladimir Ussachevsky, Henry Jacobs, and others for a wonderful collection of avant-garde music. But it was track 5 on side A which made me pick this one up - Edgard Varèse's famous Ionization.

My apologies if you dismiss these as "old-hat" avant-garde. Modernism and Futurism have come and gone, and you may be seeking novel concepts in new music. But I consider these important works and find them to be wonderfully enjoyable even sixty years after their composition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote