Music Banter - View Single Post - Jam Bands
Thread: Jam Bands
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 07:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Thanks to DJ and Frownland, I've found a Jam Band thread to bump!

This one has a good OP, but not many bands are mentioned beyond the trinity of Allmans, Dead and Phish, so I'd like to add a recommendation for Tea Leaf Green, whose music I'm currently exploring :

New Monsoon are another band that has impressed me in the past, though I've only dipped into a little of their catalogue. That is likely to change, thanks to Psy-Fi's post in another old jam band thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
If you like Umphrey's McGee, you might want to check out Internet Archive
If you aren't already aware of the site, they have a huge live music database of bands, including Umphrey's McGee, available for free listening/downloading. Some of the shows are soundboard recordings and some are audience member recordings.
Many bands listed there would probably fit into the jam band category.
There is a forum there devoted to the Grateful Dead, and many of the participants are quite knowledgeable about the jam band scene.
I visit the site often for music and info about bands/artists.
Click on his innocuous-looking link, and you'll find a monster collection of live jams. I side-stepped The Grateful Dead forum (10,000 items), but can recommend this page for a taste of what New Monsoon can do:

https://archive.org/details/nm2004-03-13.shnf

( Click on track five to stream a great version of the old War favourite, Cisco Kid and more.)

Finally, I'd like to make a comment about the Jam Bander's dillema. There you are, up on stage, playing away for hours, aware that your concert is being recorded; you presumably want to explore your musical limits, but you don't want the audience to accuse you of noodling, so you have to walk some fine line. Fred Hale Sr. mentions Robert Randolf and the Family Band, but on the basis of the "Live at Wetlands" cd I have, I'd add a word of warning; RR doesn't noodle, but goes to the other extreme; too many tracks are stomping crowd-pleasers with too much singing and too little soloing for my liking. Great fun on the night, I imagine, but rather unsatisfactory as a cd, and not deserving of multiple listenings.

For Sale:
"Live at Wetlands" cd: as new, Price $1, postage & packing $20

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 12-04-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote