Music Banter - View Single Post - Home-schooling
Thread: Home-schooling
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
WWWP
county fair energy

If I had children I would probably be inclined to homeschool them, because I would feel like guarding them from the failings of the public school system. However, as a teacher I am more inclined to work to reform the public school system from within than to seek alternatives or pour all funding and effort into charter schools or whatever. I know my experience of public school in a very small town must be wildly different from that of people who went to public school in the town I live in now, though.

The only homeschooled kids I knew growing up where hybrid-homeschooled because they lived on a ranch 30 miles out of town and it just made sense for their family not to drive in at 5am (plus like, ranch work), so they homeschooled all their kids until they were old enough to ride the bus. They still got the socialization because they would come to the extracurriculars - soccer on Tuesdays, our art and music classes every Friday, little league in the summer, etc. When they finally started full-time in our school they were in fourth grade and miles ahead of the rest of us in both knowledge and work ethic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
WWWP is pretty but should be cancelled (digital blackface)

#DEMODFROWNLAND
#TERMLIMITSFORMODERATORS
WWWP is offline   Reply With Quote