Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Movies You Should See Before You Die
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default 1001 Movies You Should See Before You Die

Don't see a thread for this, thought it might be an idea. For me, these are absolute required watching: kind of in order, but the rest won't be. Just add as you think of them.

The Odd Couple.

Neil Simon's masterful about-face on marriage brings Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau together in the very best way possible. I would say one of the finest comedies ever.

Downfall.

Brno Ganz is spellbinding as the slowly-unravelling Nazi dictator who refuses to believe the end is coming. See it in the original German. Superb movie.

The Godfather.

Need I go on? Coppola's classic based on Mario Puzo's bestseller takes us into the world of the Mafia, with sterling performances by Brando and Pacino among others. The second one was kind of meh and the third I sort of don't remember, but you need to see this one.

Unforgiven.

Clint Eastwood sounds the death knell for the Hollywood Western. Tough, gritty, uncompromising and one of his best performances in years.

Jaws.

The original shark movie. Suspenseful, at times terrifying, a triumph for Spielberg even if it did lead to a spate of shark killings that can never be compensated for.

The Last Temptation of Christ.

Superb imagining of an alternative story of the life of Christ, with a great performance from Willem DaFoe and wonderful direction by Scorsese, haunting soundtrack by Peter Gabriel, and even a cameo by the late David Bowie.