Music Banter - View Single Post - The Anime/Manga thread
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #495 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Space Dandy

Have you ever been so into a TV show/movie/whatever that you actually took yourself out of it cause of just how intensely you were thinking of how awesome it was? Just had that happen while watching the first episode of Space Dandy. So far it feels like the adaptation of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that we've all been waiting for. It's a sci-fi show with absolutely nothing serious about it that is so up its own ass with being outrageously sci-fi that the only way it could work is by being a spoof. It's like whoever made this show was a rabid Star Wars fan who'd watched the original 50 million times, and the cantina scene 100 million times cause he could never watch it just once. Throw in the absurd, mindlessly fun humor, a dash of Cowboy Bebop, and tie it all together in a package of hella old school serial sci-fi camp, and you have Space Dandy.

The other thing of massive note is the animation. It is an orgasm on acid. The art is joyously expressive and giddily over-the-top, and the colors... THE COLORS!!! They're probably going to make me go blind but I don't ****ing care cause everything is just so gorgeous and fun to look at. I never thought I'd find an anime that could compete with a Studio Ghibli film for breathtaking visuals, but I think this might be the exception. It's not so grand and overwhelmingly beautiful, but you almost want to laugh out loud at just how amazing this show is just to look at. At how the colors clash and complement one another in an eye wateringly vibrant smorgasbord of unprotected sex.

Space Dandy is going to have to go straight down the toilet to not be a masterpiece of perpetually adolescent euphoria.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 02-14-2017 at 11:35 AM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote