Music Banter - View Single Post - The Country, Folk & World Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #690 (permalink)
Chiomara
mayor of spookytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic
Yes, I generally prefer good robust folk music too. When CD-quality reproduction was still a novelty, the band Clannad generated a mini Brit folk revival but they mainly made popular "the soft dreamy sort" unfortunately...
It really is frustrating. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find groups (even within the broader indie-folk genre) with powerful vocalists, too. Some of them practically sound like they're mumbling in their sleep! Enunciate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic
^ So strange that we can now all listen to Molly Drake songs, after decades of complete obscurity. The one you've chosen is really charming, and shares a lot with Nick Drake's own style, doesn't it? I'm thinking of the delicate melancholy, the detailed observations of nature, and the way she links them to her own emotions. Nice.
It does; they both share that same vulnerable, wistful quality. Molly Drake, especially somehow manages to eviscerate me emotionally for reasons I can't even articulate.

Today's rotation:

(all of the Alan Lomax field recordings are incredible)

(a delightful John Jacob Niles cover)

Chiomara is offline   Reply With Quote