Music Banter - View Single Post - Country Rock, Roots Rock, Southern Rock, and Americana
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
EPOCH6
V8s & 12 Bars

Wow, I heard Gene Clark's No Other for the first time yesterday and I'm blown away, so much so that I listened to it once more front to back immediately after it was over, and then again front to back this morning. I don't know a whole lot about Gene Clark yet, but I am a big fan of The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark, and I was pleased to hear at least some elements of Clark's rootsy delivery resurfacing in this album. The vocal lines (both lead and backup), pedal steel and piano lines, songwriting, and production are all so focused on this album, every note counts and every minute of the album is beautiful, it's a sprawling, trippy, cosmic masterpiece of mid-70s Americana. Excellent early morning or late night listening, hard to imagine that Fleetwood Mac didn't take at least some stylistic cues from this album when they were producing Rumours the following year.

There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.

Last edited by EPOCH6; 04-07-2017 at 03:47 PM.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote