Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #5919 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
This is a much better reason for why he's wrong to have said that than the others have presented, and I mostly agree, but I wonder what idealism are you talking about? I also don't think it's wrong for people to look at the homless and ask why? Whether it's condescending or out of sincere concern people recognizing the problem is important.. It's much better than people not even acknowledging their existence.
The idealism that poverty is sustained by a lack of effort. It's true for a lot of cases but not for all. People lose jobs. People make poor decisions in the housing market. When I inspected houses for a living, you wouldn't believe all the homes that were abandoned by literally upheaval. These people were so deep in the sh*tter that they literally left everything they owned and went who the hell knows where. It doesn't even have to be homelessness. There are a sh*t ton of families that survive by eating ramen every night while both parents work three jobs. It's so much more expensive to be poor than it is to be wealthy. Some families are barely able to keep their mouth above the water for air.

To highlight my point just for emphasis, I don't think Carson thinks that if you're poor you must not be trying hard enough. Maybe he meant it to be motivational. My point is that Ben Carson isn't the speaker of the poverty stricken. He's somebody that, for some reason, has serious value to his opinions and I think it's irresponsible to broadcast the slightest hint of an idea that people are poor because they don't have the right mindset.

Just tell people to donate when they can and perhaps volunteer once or twice a month at a homeless shelter and let the people who follow your word as gospel in some case make up their own damn minds as to why Jerry down the street is selling all of his things on his lawn every weekend.

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote