Music Banter - View Single Post - Bjork
Thread: Bjork
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #155 (permalink)
Ruby Slipper
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ratt View Post
I have all her albums from Debut to Vespertine, after that her music took a turn to something that isn't quite my thing.
This pretty much describes my relationship to Bjork, too. I love most of her music, including Sugarcubes. I couldn't get into Medulla (aside from the single, Who Is It), Volta or Biophilia. Her latest album, though, Vulnicura, is something else. Very powerful, deeply emotional, with such open lyrics, it can be tough to listen to at times. If you know the story behind the album, the end of Bjork's 10+ year marriage to Matthew Barney, it's a heartbreaking album. If you've experienced heartbreak of that magnitude yourself, which I have, it's especially moving and difficult at the same time. I still have to take the album in small doses. I can't listen to the whole thing in one setting. Sonically, it has commonalities with Vespertine and Homogenic (particularly Joga), but it's also more somber, broken and resigned than anything on those albums. It can be uplifting, but not without a lot of heartbreak to go along with it. Definitely worth a listen or two or three to get it in your system and see if you want to keep it. So far, I've decided in the affirmative.
Ruby Slipper is offline   Reply With Quote