Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I the only one who thinks country's best era was 1948-1956?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Rick360
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Tell me more. I'm interested in older country but I don't own much from that era. I'd be curious to check out some recommendations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
It's a kind of what smooth jazz is to jazz.
Chet Atkins spearheaded a movement of
making country music more commercial by
getting rid of all of the hillbilly/honky-tonk
parts of it and concentrating on big productions
with a smoother sound. Think Jim Reeves,
Patsy Cline, Charlie Rich, Don Gibson, etc.
Later to be known as the Nashville Sound.
It's considered an attempt at getting country
back in the charts after the introduction of the
new music of rock 'n' roll.
Good analogy, actually, and it's part of my justification for choosing the 1948-56 era.

Chet Atkins is a superb guitarist. And I know some will argue that his "big productions and smoother sound" was necessary to rescue country music from the threat posed by rock 'n' roll.

But from my perspective, he had a large role in wrecking what I most love about country. It goes without saying that, in my view, the Anita Kerr singers have jack **** to do with genuine country music. But it's more than that; Atkins' productions from around 1956 onward have a thin, brittle sound that drives me nuts. The guitars become more trebly, the steel guitars more whiny (I'm actually more of a fan of lap steel than I am pedal steel...there's a purity about it).

Contrast this with the fat, warm, intimate sound of a typical Don Law production from the years prior to that. Think Ray Price, Lefty Frizzell, Carl Smith, early Marty Robbins, etc.

These guys, plus of course Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb, Webb Pierce, The Louvin Brothers, and selected others...that's the era I love most. I also love George Jones's Starday sides. They're not much for fidelity, it's true, but they're just so down and dirty and funky.

I just find the distinctiveness of these artists' vocals, plus the spare but beautifully played instrumental backing, speaks to me more profoundly than other eras. Not to say I don't like country music from most any decade...just that this is...well, my favorite.

P.S. to Janszoon: All of the artists I mentioned are a great place to start. Just make certain that you get the original recordings from the 50s. Some of these guys (e.g., Frizzell, Smith, Price, Pierce) rerecorded some of their original 50s hits with more "modern" production and instrumentation — and frankly, these remakes suck.

Last edited by Rick360; 07-21-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Rick360 is offline   Reply With Quote