Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Tom Waits Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

My very first introduction to Waits, my first realisation he even existed, was looking at the cover of Heartattack and Vine in a local record shop with my mate (who has sadly long passed away) on our way home from our part-time job in the city. The shop was closed, but we would look at it and remark that the guy looked like he was insane (unsurprisingly, given his attitude on the cover) and make that old chestnut of a joke: "Tom Waits for no man"!

Ten years or so down the line I'm in the house of a friend of a friend and he plays "Tango till they're sore". I thought it was the worst thing I had ever heard - like, was this guy drunk? But I still remember humming it as I left the house.

Springsteen releases Born in the USA and on one of the singles' B-sides is the song "Jersey Girl". I note it's written by Waits.

Forward another few years and my brother sends me a tape from Boston, all the best Waits stuff on it, to try to get me into him. First track I hear is "9th and Hennepin". I'm sold immediately. Fairly soon I'm buying all the Waits albums I can lay my hands on.

Favourites now include: Rain Dogs, Heartattack and Vine (yeah), Bone Machine, Small Change, Blue Valentine, Mule Variations and the OST to One From the Heart. Also love the first two albums, though they're a very different proposition to what he went on to do.