Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Tom Waits Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Definitely overdue to have a thread dedicated to everyone's favorite gravel-throated troubadour.

Rain Dogs was my initiation (as it was for many of his younger listeners). But once I fully digested that LP I dedicated myself to the task of surveying his complete catalog in chronological order.

There is a well-organized megatorrent of his body of work organized into folders based on the label he was with at each stage of his career. The Asylum years (1973-1980) showcase his early development as an artist, followed by his gritty transformation when he moved to Island Records (1983-1993). A quick detour at CBS for the One From the Heart soundtrack leads listeners to his latest period from 1999 onward with ANTI- Records, which includes the impressive Glitter & Doom Live tour record from 2009 and the celebrated 7LP box set from 2006 titled Orphans, Brawlers, Bawlers, & Bastards. And that's the set I find myself returning to more than anything else from his catalog.

The torrent also includes 26 albums of compilations and live sessions which are a welcome addition to any Tom Waits library.

Pictured below is the Orphans set, along with a live promo 7" from the Glitter & Doom tour, the Lowside of the Road biography, and an unofficial documentary titled Tom Waits: Under Review 1983-2006.

It's impossible to choose a favorite release. There are so many gems spanning the entirety of his career. I'm just thankful that I can enjoy it all in my lifetime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote