Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #7617 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Of course we're all entitled to an opinion, but especially when we talk about the future, it's an opinion on top of a guess, so it's doubly uncertain. So, imo, the bolded bit should come with lots of disclaimers; it's not a fact. What we do know is that the world, and America under Obama, were all in unison taking the first cautious steps to recognize and reduce the human contribution to global warming. Also, around the world there is growing awareness of the need for and viability of greener energy policies. We could say that the battle is now in progress between the Fossil Fuelers and The Greens - let's not throw in the towel prematurely! Instead, check out some promising developments here:

http://www.musicbanter.com/current-e...terthread.html

So, as per elphenor, my opinion is that there is still some room for hope and my worry is that Batlord's statement, and other similar prophesies of doom may be self-realizing. In some situations, an expectation of failure will actually bring about that failure, and this is especially true of environmental issues. An attitude of, "we're doomed so why bother" is a pretty sure way to bring about that result. It's like being in a boat that's sinking; if you bail and row, you might just save yourself. If you do nothing but say "It's no good we're sinking", then you'll sink for sure.
Honestly that attitude sounds like optimism for optimism's sake, and I am simply not that guy and never will be. The narrative at least in this country really hasn't changed any, and anything Obama did was pretty much under the radar cause nobody cared. Global warming discussion has virtually zero presence in American election cycles.

Quote:
^ Not sure about this scenario, unless we're talking about some post-apocalytic world in which there are so few of us that our carbon-footprint is negligible.
That wasn't any kind of prediction. Just an arbitrary maybe. Maybe our economy tanks to such an extent that the populace actually can't afford big screen TVs and big houses they already couldn't afford, and maybe also food. And then **** gets real or whatever.

Quote:
^ In my environment thread, you can check a scientific projection about where the US coastline will be in 50 years. Plenty of dry land (though not in Florida). If you live on high ground, a bigger prob might be the waves of homeless refugees camping out in your garden and mistreating your patio furniture.
Well I know Chula lives in Cali so I was guessing that he might end up underwater. But yeah I was thinking about the whole refugee crisis that would result as well and how Chula would probably be living in a disaster zone camp.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote