Music Banter - View Single Post - Everyone hates symphonic metal
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 05:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
The music is often cut-rate power metal or at least tepid ****e for 14-year-old girls who cut themselves, the vocals are gimmicky and cringey, and it's all artlessly jumbled together in one of the most tedious forms of pop metal on earth.
Ouch. Generally speaking, the genre suffers from bad vocals, but the above are exceptions in my eyes. Problem is, I think most people, especially metal and rock fans, have some irrational hatred of overtly melodic and powerful singing, unless it has some hint of aggression to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Other than that, it's fantastic.

I personally have no problem with SM; the one thing I get weary with is operatic over the top vocals, usually female. And the idea of pairing "unclean" vocals with clean ones. Two things. The two things I get weary with are operatic over the top vocals, usually female. And the idea of pairing "unclean" vocals with clean ones. And overly long epics. Three things. The three things I get weary with are operatic over the top vocals, usually female. And the idea of pairing "unclean" vocals with clean ones. And overly long epics. And overused ideas. Four things. Among the things I get weary about symphonic metal are ...

Bands I like:
Within Temptation
Epica
Edenbridge
Leaves' Eyes
Lacuna Coi
l (more Gothic Metal but still...)
For some reason I had the impression that you hated the genre. Probably a particularly venomous entry in your 2017 Albums thread.

I personally don't include Lacuna Coil at all, plus they're guilty of the clean/grrrr duality. They should fire the growly guy. Cristina Scabbia has a great voice though.

Haven't actually learned to appreciate the other 3 bands you mentioned yet. I did have a very short lived romance with Leave's Eyes once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I haven't heard much of it to be honest. My impression is that it's pretty cheesy, but I'm open to recommendations that might change that impression.
If the inherently grandiose tendencies of the genre and the vocal stylings of the genre strike you as cheesy, then I'm not sure I could come up with anything that would change your mind.

Last edited by MicShazam; 10-18-2017 at 05:56 AM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote