Music Banter - View Single Post - Everyone hates symphonic metal
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
this a bridge too far even for Bat

it's nice to know everyone has a cheese limit
It's not that it's too cheesy, it's that the cheese has the wrong aesthetics for me to care I guess. It's not fun cheese. It's wannabe goth cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
For those who see no redeeming qualities in the genre whatsoever, grant me just a few minutes and I will show you how symphonic metal can be pretty legit - by way of Nightwish of all things! The thing with Nightwish is, that while I like all of their albums outside of their debut, I really think they've become a much better band with their two later singers. Everyone knows them with the original singer, Tarja, but their best output is, in my opinion, from the Anette Olzon and Floor Jansen eras. Not least, I also find these two ladies to be much more appealing singers than Tarja.

Anyway, I've picked two songs and a starting point for each. All you have to do is go to the suggested time code and you will start right as the best part is about to begin. Personally, I think everything after the marked point is fantastic in both of these songs. I love the music here and Floor really sells the vocals too. I'm even going to venture as far as to say that I can't see anything cheesy about these two songs either. It's just legit good music to me. No guilty pleasures in sight.

So, will anyone indulge me? Then you can tell me how wrong I am afterwards.

7 Days to The Wolves (Live with Floor Jansen)
Start from 03:20.

Ghost Love Score (live with Floor Jansen)
Start from 05:35.
Imaginaerum is one of the most god awful albums I've heard in forever and I wouldn't use it as a coaster. I actually like Comalies from Lacuna Coil, even if the guitar is cringey nu metal schlock. Riffs are still fun though and Cristina Scabbia is miles away from a Tarja or a Floor Jansen.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote