Music Banter - View Single Post - ABBA or The Carpenters?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Seriously, Lisna? ABBA should have been restricted to singing about their home country?
^ Well, you're quite right, that comment about Sweden was uncalled for. It was just little a rhetorical flourish that I should've resisted because it's completely unfair. Sorry.

Quote:
I thought "Fernando" was a good song. It's not meant to be taken seriously. After all, Iron Maiden were hardly at Passchendale, and Lizzy didn't actually see Hitler at the Maginot Line. Doesn't make those songs any less excellent. What about "The Winner Takes It All"? "Name of the Game"? "Dancing Queen"? Come on: ABBA weren't meant to be serious - most of the time - they were just a fun band.
^ I guess I'm too grumpy, too earnest to enjoy many fun bands and, although I've never really thought it through, perhaps I expect too much in terms of plausability too. I prefer it when an artist's songs meshes with their stage persona in a way that allows for what someone once called "the willing suspension of disbelief." Abba's "Fernando" just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.