Music Banter - View Single Post - ABBA or The Carpenters?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
Don't get me wrong. I love the 70s. I grew up in the 70s. But, with the exception of a couple songs, I just wasn't into the Carpenters, Sing, sing a song? Give me a break.

And, actually I don't hate ABBA, and Waterloo and SOS aren't all that bad (though please don't see them do SOS on TV; it predates the Village People).

It's just that I'm not much of an MOR guy. Then again I do admit I like You Light Up My Life for some perverted reason. It mixes in well with Anarchy in the UK
Sing, Sing a Song would be an absolutely disaster, if it was redeemed by Karen Carpenters' voice. I always thought of myself as middle of the road, cause I don't like Metal and I don't care for Pop ... but that being said there are a few rare exceptions.

In the very beginning in the group's career they were still searching for their identity, how to dress, and I don't think ABBA was any more outrageous than any other UK Glam Rock band, or Pop artist like Elton John, or even early 70s Funk bands in America. And Funk bands got more wild with their wardrobe as the 70s went on e.g. Earth, Wind & Fire. The Village People were sorta tame in comparison.

Waterloo

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote