Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #1081 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: There is a Cloud
Artist: Elevation Worship
Genre: CCM/Worship
Nationality: American
Release date: March 17
Position in Discography: Tenth
Fear Factor: High
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: N/A
Ah, it's been a while since we praised God in song, huh? And it's a live album, no less. There's nothing wrong with this music if you like adult contemporary rock or pop - “Do it Again” is particularly good – and I've said it before, and no doubt am fated to repeat myself several times before the end, I've nothing against worship music, as long as it's played and sung well, as this is. I just usually ignore the lyrics, though sometimes Christianity can have some good messages – treat each other well, don't worry about material possessions etc – and as long as they don't go overboard trying to convert this apostate then I don't mind this at all. It's certainly not anything I'd turn off.

Okay, scratch that. “Uncontainable Love” (a terrible title in itself) is an awful attempt to r&b-up the music and it just falls totally flat. Embarrassing with a capital M. It is amusing to hear these people go wild over this music as it praises the J-Man, but if the lyrics were tweaked slightly and they became songs about girls or boys in love, they'd probably be frothing at the mouth and accusing the band of “corrupting our impressionable youth” or some nonsense. Hypocrisy is big in the Catholic Church, as if that were breaking news. “Grateful” is pretty terrible too.

Interesting how, this being a live album and all, the band don't seem to ever interact with, never mind talk to the audience. Maybe they're communicating telepathically? Ah well. Everyone seems to be having a good time, no fights or unrest, and somewhere the Devil puts on another Slayer album, rolls his eyes and groans “What a bunch of dweebs!” Everyone wins!

Check out more from this artist? Nah
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? I imagine I'll have to

Expectation Index: 0