Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Green Day punk or nah?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 11:48 PM   #478 (permalink)
The_Creature
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Because pop bands have a different type of market than poppified punk bands.
Exactly, a market exists for pop-punk so why would they need to change a band's sound? It seems more likely the band already plays the kind of sound they are looking for. So it boils down to whether you like pop-punk in the first place or have an ethical issue with major labels. I don't think it has anything to do with changing the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Here's a great reason: Labels will generally take creative control and push their bands towards a profitable sound. Even when it's not a firm rule, it applies to Green Day as evidenced by the drastic shift away from punk when they did get signed.
I just don't hear it. I hear the difference after a few albums but a lot of bands change their sound over time. Dookie sounds like Kerplunk with better production values. It's louder and there's less noise. I guess that's a change in tone but it's pretty minor imo. Welcome to Paradise is on both, it doesn't sound out of place on either.

Also, this discussion has focused on the harm labels can do to a band and its early following. I think that's one way to look at it but there's also the issue of how it effects the scene generally. I think a better case can be made that major labels created a generation of pop-punk divorced from the punk scene. They got famous on the back of a sound influenced by punk, but no one in punk was acknowledged as an influence. I don't think Green Day fall under this category. They were deeply rooted in the punk scene but, through chance, they were in the right place at the right time to become hugely successful from it.
The_Creature is offline   Reply With Quote