Music Banter - View Single Post - Netflix to greenlight Judge Dredd TV series!
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 05:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Alright, might as well put this here I guess since it's a Judge Dredd thread, but I'm reading "America", from the first issues of the Judge Dredd Megazine, and it was sold to me as one of the best Dredd stories, something mature and just plain great. And yet it feels like the most cliched, self-important nonsense that could ever be written about anything, and which should never have come out of Judge ****ing Dredd of all things. Like, as far as I've known, Dredd has always been about satirizing America and encroaching autocracy, and it did so brazenly and without artifice, while having the most ridiculous laugh about it. But this story is pretending like doing the same damn thing and being completely humorless about it is somehow creative and not just annoying.

Am I crazy or is "America" ****ing lame?
This isn't a story I've read, but is it not "Amerika" (with a K)? Anyway, no, I don't know it, but I believe there were some later terrible Dredd stories, particularly when 2000AD was going through that "Girls don't get it" stupidity phase (you really should watch that documentary: eye-opening).

Of the ones I've read, that I can remember (been reading Dredd for over a quarter of a century) I'd rate them thus:

The Cursed Earth
Judge Death Lives
The Day the Law Died
The Judge Child
Judge Death
Oz
Apocalypse War
Block Mania
The Dead Man
Robot Wars

I'm sure there are others I've forgotten. Oh, Dredd's time on Luna-1 was great too.